List of The Best FREE NZ Business Directories (In Priority Order):
- Google Plus / Google Maps [45 mins]
- Not an easy process, but an essential path to getting on Google Maps
- Finda.co.nz [12 mins]
- Easy to use. Good looking profile pages.
- HotFrog.co.nz [28 mins]
- Impressive presence in Google.co.nz for a variety of searches
- Zenbu.co.nz [27 mins]
- Very cool map-based business directory
- NZPages.co.nz [22 mins]
- Good, clean, “minimalist” directory
- ZipLeaf.co.nz [34 mins]
- “In growing stages, clean/sharp graphics, up to date functions. Promising” – [Thanks to James for his review]
- Gopher.co.nz [17 mins]
- Great design, easy to use
Don’t have time to do this work yourself? Hire me.
Criteria For The Best NZ Business Directories:
To get on the official list above, the directory must meet most of these criteria:
- Does Google like it?
- Does the directory often appear in Google.co.nz Search Engine Results for a variety of NZ searches?
- How good are the directories own Search Engine Rankings?
- What SEO techniques does the directory use?
- Is the process of adding my website to the directory easy, intuitive and quick?
- Will it provide a clean hyperlink to my website?
- “No-follow” hyperlinks are of little use to us
- Redirection “tracker” hyperlinks are not as good
- Is the website approval time short?
- Are the other websites in the directory high quality? (Eg, have the webmasters let spammy websites through?)
- Can I specify my own anchor text for my hyperlink?
Other NZ Directories Worth Considering
I haven’t investigated the following sites in great detail. If you have used any of them, please write a short review of your own, in the comments below.
- Global directory, with dedicated subdomains to New Zealand cities. Rich text in the description field, you can add hyperlinks (this is rare). No longer free
- Networknz.nz Good layout, good content
- NZWebZ.co.nz (poor design, but may be worth registering)
- NZsbDirectory.co.nz (NZ Small Business Directory and Travel Guide)
- Entry.net.nz (good design, but pretty empty)
- IndexNZ.com (Ghastly!)
- NZ.BusinessDirectoryForMobile.com (Decent quality, and seems quite popular)
- WhoSells.co.nz (Very little in there, but looks ok)
- BusinessMe.co.nz (Great layout)
- Localist.co.nz (Huge growth over last few years)
- DizyLocal.co.nz (great design, layout)
Business Directories Dedicated to a Single Location
- BusinessHawkesBay.co.nz (Low usability – No way to browse)
- CentralOtagoNZ.com (quite good)
- RaglanDirectory.co.nz (good layout, comprehensive list)
- SearchAuckland.co.nz (almost empty)
- BizDirectoryNZ.com (Southland)
- DevonportDirectory.co.nz (Devonport, Auckland)
Time-Wasting NZ Directories To Avoid
This list is for directories with major flaws. Don’t waste your time on them. If you disagree, say so in the comments below.
- NZSearch.co.nz (abandoned long ago and it has slowly rotted away)
- PiperPat.co.nz (Crude, old, but effective (Page Rank 6!). But I have had no response to my requests for additions for years)
- AZDirect.co.nz (Very poor usability)
- IBegin.com [NZ] (only serving ads. No real NZ businesses)
List of NZ Business Directories You Have To Pay For:
In this list, there is no free listing. To register, you must pay.
Is There a New Zealand Online Business Directory Missing?
What other New Zealand directories do you think should be added to any of these lists? Add them in the comments below.
Don’t have time to add your business to these directories?
No problem. You can hire me.